Gosh, I’ve been late trying to get this report up – we’re already in GW24 as I write this.
Anyway, FPL this season has been somewhat of a nightmare for me. Every player purchased, punt, captained, selection just didn’t work! Let’s check out my awful performance as at GW 20 – the halfway point:
At the conclusion of GW 20, I was already free falling down my mini-league, hovering around spot no. 15 (I think). I had only managed to amass a total of 1,002 points and globally ranked at 1,149,644. From a financial viewpoint, I only managed to increase my team value +2.8M . I even failed to make the cut for the FPL Cup after GW18. Sigh.
Comparatively, last year, by this mid-point, I had already increased my team value pass the $105M mark and globally ranked in the 50K bracket.В Of course, I could take comfort that this year’s edition is proving exceptionally challenging for many old hands or those who have scored well in previous seasons. Hmmmm
As I ponder at my disappointing season, I can only reflect on what I did right or wrong…
What I Did Right
- Keeping faith in Aguero and Kane – The Argentine striker singe handedly rescued my season in GW8, when I scored 105 points; and Kane continues to be consistently scoring points for me in recent weeks
- Good early punts – I already had Mahrez and Payet early on on my team, and now we see both them on the template midfield on most teams
What I Did Wrong
- Punting with my Wildcard – After the early form struggle, I managed to surge to the top of my mini league after GW8. My mistake? Immediately using my WC to solidify my team by making punts on cheaper strikers and messing around with my solid original team.
- Pathetic defence – Somehow I was cursed this season by buying in defenders who either don’t play or get injured almost immediately thereafter- Rojo, Darmian, Gabriel, Rose, etc. The non-points from my defenders seriously hurt me this season.
- .Bad choice for captaincy – Strangely, high scoring captains this season don’t seem to be from teams playing at home. Hmmmm.
- Too much faith in high scoring players of the past – Hazard, Rooney, Sanchez, etc. comes to mind.
- The Vardy denial – I just somehow refused to believe Vardy would continue scoring as he did so far. I thought having Mahrez to provide cover for Leicester would be good enough. Sigh. Too late to turn back now. He’s become too expensive!:-(
By mid-way point, it would be very difficult for me to claw back into my mini-league. Most teams would undoubtedly have the same template, so the number players that are different would be too small to make significant impacts. My only hope of surging up to catch the leaders?
- Taking risks on players not from the template. For example, choose Deeney instead of Ighalo.
- Taking risks on non-popular captain choices. For example, with everyone putting the armband on Aguero, I may have to take the risk and put it on Payet instead
- Play my remaining gamechips properly…
Oh well, there’s always next season!